It's shocking but nearly 70% of consumers renewed their policy with the same company for well over three years, and roughly 40% of drivers have never quoted insurance rates at all. Many drivers in Buffalo could cut their rates by up to $840 a year by just comparing quotes, but most just don't grasp the amount of savings they would get if they replace their high priced policy.
If your goal is the lowest price, then the best way to find more affordable Ford Freestyle insurance is to make a habit of regularly comparing prices from providers who can sell car insurance in Buffalo. Drivers can shop around by following these steps.
Step 1: Learn about how companies set rates and the steps you can take to prevent expensive coverage. Many policy risk factors that are responsible for high rates such as accidents, careless driving, and a lousy credit rating can be controlled by paying attention to minor details.
Step 2: Compare rates from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Direct companies and exclusive agencies can give quotes from a single company like Progressive or Allstate, while agents who are independent can provide price quotes for a wide range of companies. Compare rates
Step 3: Compare the quotes to your current policy and see if you can save money. If you find a better price and decide to switch, make sure there is no coverage gap between policies.
One important bit of advice is that you use the same coverage limits and deductibles on every quote and and to get rate quotes from as many different companies as possible. This provides a level playing field and a complete rate analysis.
Keep in mind that comparing more rates from different companies increases the chance that you will find better pricing.
The companies in the list below are our best choices to provide free quotes in Buffalo, NY. If you wish to find cheaper auto insurance in Buffalo, NY, it's highly recommended you compare several of them in order to find the lowest rates.
Insurance does more than just protect your car
Despite the high cost of buying insurance for a Ford Freestyle in Buffalo, insurance is required for several reasons.
- Most states have compulsory liability insurance requirements which means it is punishable by state law to not carry a specific minimum amount of liability protection in order to drive the car. In New York these limits are 25/50/10 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your Ford Freestyle has a loan, it's guaranteed your bank will make it mandatory that you have full coverage to guarantee loan repayment. If you cancel or allow the policy to lapse, the bank will be required to insure your Ford at a more expensive rate and require you to fork over the higher price.
- Insurance preserves not only your vehicle but also your assets. Insurance will also pay for medical expenses that are the result of an accident. One of the most valuable coverages, liability insurance, also pays expenses related to your legal defense if you are sued as the result of an accident. If damage is caused by hail or an accident, collision and comprehensive (also known as other-than-collision) coverage will pay to have it repaired.
The benefits of insuring your car greatly outweigh the cost, especially when you need to use it. Despite what companies tell you, the average driver is currently overpaying as much as $865 each year so compare quotes from several companies at every renewal to ensure rates are competitive.
Cheaper Ford Freestyle insurance quotes in Buffalo
Car insurance is expensive, but you might be missing out on some discounts that many consumers don't even know exist. Certain credits will be shown at the time of purchase, but less common discounts must be asked about before being credited.
- No Claims - Buffalo drivers who stay claim-free have much lower rates as opposed to drivers who are more careless.
- Multi-policy Discount - If you combine your homeowners and auto policies and insure them both with the same insurance company you could save up to 20% and get you inexpensive Ford Freestyle insurance in Buffalo.
- Low Miles Discount - Driving fewer miles could be rewarded with lower rates on the low mileage vehicles.
- Air Bag Discount - Factory air bags can get savings of more than 20%.
- Telematics Data - Buffalo drivers who agree to allow companies to monitor where and when they drive by using a telematic data system like Allstate's Drivewise could save a few bucks if they show good driving skills.
- Anti-lock Brakes - Cars equipped with ABS or steering control are safer to drive and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- Driver's Education for Students - Make teen driver coverage more affordable by requiring them to successfully complete driver's ed class in school or through a local driver safety program.
We need to note that most of the big mark downs will not be given to the whole policy. The majority will only reduce individual premiums such as medical payments or collision. So even though it sounds like you would end up receiving a 100% discount, that's just not realistic.
Larger car insurance companies and a partial list of their discounts are detailed below.
- GEICO includes discounts for seat belt use, air bags, good student, military active duty, and daytime running lights.
- Auto-Owners Insurance offers discounts including anti-lock brakes, air bags, paperless, anti-theft, and paid in full.
- American Family has discounts for good driver, Steer into Savings, bundled insurance, accident-free, defensive driver, mySafetyValet, and good student.
- Esurance has savings for safety device, good student, multi-policy, homeowner, and DriveSense.
- Progressive policyholders can earn discounts including homeowner, multi-vehicle, multi-policy, continuous coverage, online quote discount, online signing, and good student.
- State Farm may include discounts for Drive Safe & Save, multiple policy, safe vehicle, good driver, good student, and accident-free.
- AAA offers discounts for good driver, pay-in-full, anti-theft, multi-policy, and AAA membership discount.
It's a good idea to ask every prospective company how many discounts you can get. Savings may not apply to policies in Buffalo. To locate insurance companies with the best Ford Freestyle insurance discounts in Buffalo, follow this link.
Get rate quotes but work with a local Buffalo insurance agent
A lot of people still like to sit down and talk to an agent and we recommend doing that The best thing about price shopping on the web is you can get cheaper premium rates but also keep your business local. Putting coverage with local insurance agents is definitely important in Buffalo.
Once you complete this simple form, the quote information is immediately sent to participating agents in Buffalo who will gladly provide quotes and help you find cheaper coverage. It makes it easy because there is no need to visit any agencies since price quotes are sent to you directly. Get lower rates without the usual hassles of price shopping. If you need to get a comparison quote for a specific company, you would need to visit that company's website and fill out their quote form.
If you are wanting to purchase car insurance from local Buffalo agents, there are two types of agencies that you can select. Insurance agencies in Buffalo are considered either exclusive or independent.
Independent Agents (or Brokers)
Agents that choose to be independent are normally appointed by many insurers and that allows them to write policies with a variety of different insurance companies and find you cheaper rates. If prices rise, they simply move the coverage in-house and the insured can keep the same agent.
When comparing rates, we highly recommend that you get quotes from several independent insurance agents to have the best price comparison. They often place coverage with smaller regional carriers which could offer lower prices.
The following is a list of independent insurance agents in Buffalo who can help you get free price quotes.
- Nationwide Insurance: Cynthia Woltz Insurance Agency Inc
1926 clinton - Buffalo, NY 14206 - (716) 822-6874 - View Map
- Niagara Montauk Insurance
1547 Hertel Ave - Buffalo, NY 14216 - (716) 800-4282 - View Map
- Paul Wolf Agency Inc
2686 Elmwood Ave - Buffalo, NY 14217 - (716) 835-9653 - View Map
These type of agents can only provide pricing for a single company like AAA, State Farm, Farmers Insurance, and Allstate. These agents are unable to give you multiple price quotes so you might not find the best rates. They are very knowledgeable in insurance sales which can be an advantage. Consumers sometimes purchase coverage from exclusives mainly due to the prominence of the brand and strong financial ratings.
Shown below is a short list of exclusive agencies in Buffalo willing to provide comparison quotes.
- Progressive Insurance - Buffalo Service Center
6699 Transit Road - Buffalo, NY 14221 - (716) 810-1500 - View Map
- Farmers Insurance - Toni Du Bois
2460 Main St - Buffalo, NY 14214 - (716) 931-5200 - View Map
- Lou Santiago - State Farm Insurance Agent
557 Niagara St - Buffalo, NY 14201 - (716) 883-5500 - View Map
Finding the right insurance agency should depend on more than just a cheap quote. These are some valid questions you should ask.
- Is vehicle damage repaired with OEM or aftermarket parts?
- Do they offer claims assistance after hours?
- Can you choose the body shop in case repairs are needed?
- Do they feel the quoted coverages are adequate?
- Is insurance their full-time profession?
- Are all drivers listed on the coverage quote?
- Is there a Errors and Omissions policy in force?
- Do you have coverage for a rental car if your vehicle is in the repair shop?
Auto insurance specifics
Learning about specific coverages of auto insurance can be of help when determining the right coverages at the best deductibles and correct limits. The coverage terms in a policy can be confusing and coverage can change by endorsement.
Collision coverage - This covers damage to your Freestyle resulting from colliding with a stationary object or other vehicle. You will need to pay your deductible then the remaining damage will be paid by your insurance company.
Collision can pay for things such as colliding with a tree, scraping a guard rail, hitting a parking meter, rolling your car and sustaining damage from a pot hole. Collision coverage makes up a good portion of your premium, so you might think about dropping it from vehicles that are older. Drivers also have the option to increase the deductible on your Freestyle to save money on collision insurance.
Medical expense insurance - Personal Injury Protection (PIP) and medical payments coverage reimburse you for bills such as pain medications, dental work, nursing services and rehabilitation expenses. They are often used in conjunction with a health insurance program or if you lack health insurance entirely. They cover both the driver and occupants and will also cover any family member struck as a pedestrian. Personal Injury Protection is not available in all states and may carry a deductible
Protection from uninsured/underinsured drivers - This gives you protection from other motorists when they either are underinsured or have no liability coverage at all. Covered losses include hospital bills for your injuries and also any damage incurred to your Ford Freestyle.
Since many New York drivers only carry the minimum required liability limits (25/50/10), it only takes a small accident to exceed their coverage. That's why carrying high Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage is important protection for you and your family. Normally the UM/UIM limits are similar to your liability insurance amounts.
Liability - Liability coverage will cover damages or injuries you inflict on people or other property that is your fault. Split limit liability has three limits of coverage: bodily injury for each person, bodily injury for the entire accident, and a limit for property damage. Your policy might show liability limits of 25/50/10 that translate to $25,000 in coverage for each person's injuries, a per accident bodily injury limit of $50,000, and property damage coverage for $10,000. Occasionally you may see a combined limit that pays claims from the same limit without having the split limit caps.
Liability insurance covers claims such as pain and suffering, bail bonds, medical services, emergency aid and court costs. How much coverage you buy is your choice, but buy higher limits if possible. New York state law requires minimum liability limits of 25/50/10 but you should think about purchasing higher limits.
The chart below demonstrates why the minimum limit may not be high enough to adequately cover claims.
Comprehensive (Other than Collision) - This coverage covers damage that is not covered by collision coverage. You first must pay your deductible then the remaining damage will be covered by your comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive coverage pays for things such as rock chips in glass, damage from getting keyed, a broken windshield, fire damage and theft. The maximum payout your auto insurance company will pay is the market value of your vehicle, so if the vehicle is not worth much consider dropping full coverage.
Cheap insurance rates are possible
Budget-conscious Ford Freestyle insurance is possible on the web in addition to many Buffalo insurance agents, and you should be comparing both to get a complete price analysis. Some insurance companies may not provide online rate quotes and most of the time these smaller providers only sell through independent agents.
You just learned some good ideas how you can reduce Ford Freestyle insurance car insurance rates online in Buffalo. The key concept to understand is the more companies you get premium rates for, the better your comparison will be. You may even find the lowest car insurance rates come from a company that doesn't do a lot of advertising.
Insureds who switch companies do it for any number of reasons including policy cancellation, an unsatisfactory settlement offer, high rates after DUI convictions or even delays in paying claims. Whatever your reason, choosing a new company is not as difficult as it may seem.
More tips and info about insurance can be read by following these links:
- Steps to Take After an Auto Accident (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has Cheap Buffalo Auto Insurance Rates for Business Use? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance for Veterans in Buffalo? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance Quotes for a Toyota Corolla in Buffalo? (FAQ)
- No-Fault Auto Insurance Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)
- Think You're a Safe Driver? (State Farm)