It’s amazing but 70% of consumers have purchased from the same company for more than four years, and just short of a majority have never quoted insurance rates at all. Many consumers in Buffalo could save up to 45% each year just by getting comparison quotes, but they don’t believe the benefits if they switched to a cheaper policy.
If saving money is your primary concern, then the best way to find cheaper prices for GMC Canyon insurance in Buffalo is to make a habit of comparing prices annually from insurance carriers who provide car insurance in New York. Price quotes can be compared by completing these steps.
- Get a basic knowledge of how auto insurance works and the measures you can control to keep rates in check. Many rating factors that increase rates such as at-fault accidents, speeding tickets, and an imperfect credit rating can be rectified by making lifestyle changes or driving safer.
- Quote rates from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Exclusive and direct companies can provide rates from one company like GEICO or State Farm, while independent agents can quote rates from multiple insurance companies.
- Compare the quotes to the price on your current policy to determine if you can save on Canyon insurance. If you find better rates and make a switch, make sure the effective date of the new policy is the same as the expiration date of the old one.
- Provide notification to your current agent or company to cancel the current policy and submit the application along with any required down payment for your new coverage. Make sure you keep the new proof of insurance certificate in your vehicle’s glove compartment or console.
One bit of advice is to make sure you’re comparing the same liability limits and deductibles on every quote and and to get rate quotes from as many different companies as possible. Doing this guarantees an apples-to-apples comparison and the most accurate and complete price analysis.
Locating the best rates in Buffalo is not that difficult as long as you know where to start. If you are paying for car insurance now, you will definitely be able to save money using the following tips. Although New York consumers must learn how the larger insurance companies market on the web and apply this information to your search.
When price shopping your coverage, comparing more quotes helps improve the odds of finding the best rates.
The companies in the list below are our best choices to provide free quotes in New York. To locate cheap auto insurance in Buffalo, it’s highly recommended you visit two to three different companies to get the cheapest price.
Get discounts on Buffalo car insurance
Some providers don’t necessarily list every discount available very well, so we researched some of the more common and the harder-to-find credits available to bring down your rates. If you don’t get every credit available, you are just wasting money.
- Student Discount for Driver Training – Have your child complete a driver education course in high school.
- No Claim Discounts – Claim-free drivers have much lower rates when compared with frequent claim filers.
- Safety Restraint Discount – Buckling up and requiring all passengers to wear their seat belts may be able to save a few bucks off the personal injury premium cost.
- Save with a New Car – Buying a new car instead of a used Canyon can cost up to 25% less since new model year vehicles are generally safer.
- Anti-lock Brake Discount – Vehicles equipped with ABS or steering control prevent accidents and will save you 10% or more on Canyon insurance in Buffalo.
- Federal Government Employee – Having worked for a branch of the government could qualify for a slight premium decrease with select insurance companies.
- Save with More Vehicles Insured – Having all your vehicles with one company may reduce the rate for each vehicle.
- Full Payment Discount – By paying your policy upfront instead of monthly or quarterly installments you can avoid the installment charge.
- Multiple Policy Discount – If you have multiple policies and insure them with the same company you may earn up to 20% and get you low cost GMC Canyon insurance.
It’s important to understand that most discounts do not apply to the entire cost. Some only reduce the price of certain insurance coverages like liability, collision or medical payments. Despite the appearance that all those discounts means the company will pay you, companies don’t profit that way. But all discounts should help lower the premium cost.
The chart below visualizes the comparison of GMC Canyon car insurance rates with and without policy discounts. The premiums are based on a female driver, no claims or driving violations, New York state minimum liability limits, comp and collision included, and $100 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with multi-car, homeowner, multi-policy, claim-free, safe-driver, and marriage discounts applied.
The best car insurance companies and a summarized list of policyholder discounts are outlined below.
- State Farm may offer discounts for defensive driving training, multiple autos, good driver, student away at school, safe vehicle, and accident-free.
- American Family may include discounts for defensive driver, early bird, air bags, good student, good driver, and bundled insurance.
- AAA has savings for multi-car, good driver, good student, education and occupation, multi-policy, and AAA membership discount.
- GEICO offers discounts including good student, air bags, military active duty, five-year accident-free, and seat belt use.
- Mercury Insurance discounts include type of vehicle, multi-policy, accident-free, good driver, age of vehicle, and location of vehicle.
- Farmers Insurance may have discounts that include bundle discounts, teen driver, multi-car, youthful driver, business and professional, pay in full, and switch companies.
- Progressive includes discounts for online quote discount, multi-policy, online signing, continuous coverage, homeowner, and good student.
When getting free Buffalo car insurance quotes, it’s a good idea to every insurance company how you can save money. Some of the earlier mentioned discounts may not apply in Buffalo. To choose companies with significant discounts in New York, click this link.
GMC Canyon insurance rate analysis
The rate table displayed next showcases detailed analysis of insurance coverage prices for GMC Canyon models. Understanding more about how auto insurance policy rates are figured can benefit drivers when making smart choices when comparing insurance rates.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Canyon SLE Regular Cab 2WD||$86||$152||$254||$16||$76||$584||$49|
|Canyon SLE Ext Cab 2WD||$86||$184||$254||$16||$76||$616||$51|
|Canyon SLE Ext Cab Z71 2WD||$86||$184||$254||$16||$76||$616||$51|
|Canyon SLE Crew Cab 2WD||$86||$184||$254||$16||$76||$616||$51|
|Canyon SLE Regular Cab 4WD||$98||$152||$254||$16||$76||$596||$50|
|Canyon SLE Crew Cab Z71 2WD||$98||$184||$254||$16||$76||$628||$52|
|Canyon SLT Ext Cab 2WD||$98||$184||$254||$16||$76||$628||$52|
|Canyon SLE Ext Cab 4WD||$98||$152||$254||$16||$76||$596||$50|
|Canyon SLT Crew Cab 2WD||$98||$218||$254||$16||$76||$662||$55|
|Canyon SLE Ext Cab Z71 4WD||$98||$184||$254||$16||$76||$628||$52|
|Canyon SLE Crew Cab 4WD||$112||$184||$254||$16||$76||$642||$54|
|Canyon SLE Crew Cab Z71 4WD||$112||$184||$254||$16||$76||$642||$54|
|Canyon SLT Crew Cab 4WD||$112||$184||$254||$16||$76||$642||$54|
|Canyon SLT Ext Cab 4WD||$112||$184||$254||$16||$76||$642||$54|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Table data represents married male driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $1000 deductibles, and New York minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include safe-driver, multi-policy, claim-free, multi-vehicle, and homeowner. Rate information does not factor in specific location information which can raise or lower auto insurance rates greatly.
Comparison of policy deductibles
One common question asked by Buffalo drivers is which comprehensive and collision deductibles to buy. The following tables approximate how much more rates are when you buy lower versus higher coverage deductibles. The first data table uses a $100 physical damage deductible and the second rate chart uses a $1,000 deductible.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Canyon SLE Regular Cab 2WD||$198||$338||$264||$16||$80||$921||$77|
|Canyon SLE Ext Cab 2WD||$198||$412||$264||$16||$80||$995||$83|
|Canyon SLE Ext Cab Z71 2WD||$198||$412||$264||$16||$80||$995||$83|
|Canyon SLE Crew Cab 2WD||$198||$412||$264||$16||$80||$995||$83|
|Canyon SLE Regular Cab 4WD||$228||$338||$264||$16||$80||$951||$79|
|Canyon SLE Crew Cab Z71 2WD||$228||$412||$264||$16||$80||$1,025||$85|
|Canyon SLT Ext Cab 2WD||$228||$412||$264||$16||$80||$1,025||$85|
|Canyon SLE Ext Cab 4WD||$228||$338||$264||$16||$80||$951||$79|
|Canyon SLT Crew Cab 2WD||$228||$484||$264||$16||$80||$1,097||$91|
|Canyon SLE Ext Cab Z71 4WD||$228||$412||$264||$16||$80||$1,025||$85|
|Canyon SLE Crew Cab 4WD||$258||$412||$264||$16||$80||$1,055||$88|
|Canyon SLE Crew Cab Z71 4WD||$258||$412||$264||$16||$80||$1,055||$88|
|Canyon SLT Crew Cab 4WD||$258||$412||$264||$16||$80||$1,055||$88|
|Canyon SLT Ext Cab 4WD||$258||$412||$264||$16||$80||$1,055||$88|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Canyon SLE Regular Cab 2WD||$110||$178||$264||$16||$80||$648||$54|
|Canyon SLE Ext Cab 2WD||$110||$216||$264||$16||$80||$686||$57|
|Canyon SLE Ext Cab Z71 2WD||$110||$216||$264||$16||$80||$686||$57|
|Canyon SLE Crew Cab 2WD||$110||$216||$264||$16||$80||$686||$57|
|Canyon SLE Regular Cab 4WD||$126||$178||$264||$16||$80||$664||$55|
|Canyon SLE Crew Cab Z71 2WD||$126||$216||$264||$16||$80||$702||$59|
|Canyon SLT Ext Cab 2WD||$126||$216||$264||$16||$80||$702||$59|
|Canyon SLE Ext Cab 4WD||$126||$178||$264||$16||$80||$664||$55|
|Canyon SLT Crew Cab 2WD||$126||$256||$264||$16||$80||$742||$62|
|Canyon SLE Ext Cab Z71 4WD||$126||$216||$264||$16||$80||$702||$59|
|Canyon SLE Crew Cab 4WD||$142||$216||$264||$16||$80||$718||$60|
|Canyon SLE Crew Cab Z71 4WD||$142||$216||$264||$16||$80||$718||$60|
|Canyon SLT Crew Cab 4WD||$142||$216||$264||$16||$80||$718||$60|
|Canyon SLT Ext Cab 4WD||$142||$216||$264||$16||$80||$718||$60|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Above prices assume married male driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, and New York minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-vehicle, homeowner, safe-driver, claim-free, and multi-policy. Rates do not factor in vehicle location which can revise auto insurance rates greatly.
Based on these figures, using a $100 deductible costs an average of $26 more each month or $312 a year than opting for the higher $1,000 deductible. Since the policyholder would be required to pay $900 more to settle a claim with a $1,000 deductible as compared to a $100 deductible, if you tend to go at least 35 months between claim filings, you would more than likely save some money by going with a higher deductible. Below is how this decision is made.
|Average monthly premium for $100 deductibles:||$84|
|Average monthly premium for $1,000 deductibles (subtract):||– $58|
|Monthly savings from raising deductible:||$26|
|Difference between deductibles ($1,000 – $100):||$900|
|Divide difference by monthly savings:||$900 / $26|
|Number of months required between physical damage coverage claims in order to save money by choosing the higher deductible||35 months|
When to talk to a local insurance agent
A small number of people prefer to visit with an insurance agent and that can be a smart move An additional benefit of comparing insurance prices online is that you can obtain the best rates but still work with a licensed agent.
Once you complete this quick form, the coverage information gets sent to local insurance agents who will give competitive quotes for your business. It makes it easy because there is no need to do any legwork since rate quotes are delivered directly to you. You’ll get the best rates AND a local agent. If you have a need to quote rates from a specific company, feel free to find their quoting web page and fill out their quote form.
Deciding on an insurer shouldn’t rely on just the quoted price. A good agent in Buffalo will have answers to these questions.
- How long has their agency been open in Buffalo?
- Does the company have a local claim office in Buffalo?
- How experienced are they in personal risk management?
- Are there any hidden costs in their price quote and does it include driving and credit history?
- Does the agent help file claims?
Choose an insurance agent wisely
If you are wanting to purchase insurance from a local Buffalo insurance agency, it’s important to understand the types of agencies and how they are slightly different. Agents in Buffalo can be classified as either independent or exclusive.
Exclusive insurance agents can only quote rates from one company and some examples include Allstate, State Farm and Farmers Insurance. They generally cannot compare rates from other companies so you need to shop around if the rates are high. Exclusive agents are trained well on what they offer which helps them sell insurance even at higher premiums. Consumers often use the same exclusive agent partially due to the prominence of the brand instead of buying on price only.
Below are Buffalo exclusive agents who can help you get price quote information.
- George Ihle III – State Farm Insurance Agent
7718 Buffalo Ave – Niagara Falls, NY 14304 – (716) 283-9100 – View Map
- Dan Schmidt – State Farm Insurance Agent
615 Elmwood Ave – Buffalo, NY 14222 – (716) 783-9460 – View Map
- State Farm: Dan Hawrylczak
1335 Hertel Ave – Buffalo, NY 14216 – (716) 873-3771 – View Map
Independent Insurance Agents
These type of agents often have many company appointments so they have the ability to put coverage with a variety of different insurance companies depending on which coverage is best. If premiums increase, they can switch companies in-house and that require little work on your part. When comparison shopping, we recommend you get rate quotes from independent agents to have the most options to choose from. Many can place coverage with smaller mutual companies that may have much lower rates than larger companies.
Listed below is a list of independent insurance agencies in Buffalo who can help you get rate quotes.
- Consolidated Insurance Agents
3814 Seneca St – Buffalo, NY 14224 – (716) 674-1700 – View Map
- Senior American Insurance Agency Inc
2001 Niagara Falls Blvd # 10 – Buffalo, NY 14228 – (800) 332-7557 – View Map
- Jacob Hauck Agency Inc
801 Main St – Buffalo, NY 14203 – (716) 853-3820 – View Map
Informed Decisions Result in Lower Insurance Prices
An important part of buying insurance is that you know the rating factors that help determine the price you pay for insurance. If you have some idea of what influences your rates, this helps enable you to make changes that may result in lower rates. Lots of things are considered when pricing auto insurance. Some factors are common sense like an MVR report, but some are less apparent such as whether you are married or your commute time.
Shown below are some of the most common factors that factor into your rates.
- Single vs. married – Getting married can actually save you money on your policy. Having a significant other means you’re more mature than a single person it has been statistically shown that married drivers tend to have fewer serious accidents.
Affects performance affects auto insurance costs – The make and model of the car, truck or SUV you are insuring makes a significant difference in your car insurance bill. The lowest base rates are for smaller low performance passenger models, but many other things help determine your insurance rates.
The following data is based on a single male driver age 30, full coverage with $1000 deductibles, and no discounts or violations. It compares GMC Canyon car insurance rates compared to other models that have different performances.
Do females or males drive better? – Statistics show that women are safer drivers than men. This data doesn’t prove that females are better at driving than males. Males and females are in fender benders at about the same rate, but guys cause more damage and cost insurance companies more money. In addition to higher claims, males also receive more costly citations like DWI (DUI) or reckless driving. Males from age 16 to 21 are the most expensive to insure and therefore have the most expensive insurance rates.
The chart below illustrates the comparison of GMC Canyon premium costs for male and female drivers. The rate quotes are based on no driving violations, no at-fault accidents, full physical damage coverage, $500 deductibles, single marital status, and no discounts are factored in.
Better drivers have lower prices – Whether or not you get tickets has a lot to do with how much you pay for insurance. Only having one chargeable violation can increase rates to the point where it’s not affordable. Careful drivers get better prices than bad drivers. Drivers unfortunate enough to have flagrant violations such as DUI or reckless driving may find they need to maintain a SR-22 with their state DMV in order to drive a vehicle legally.
The information below highlights how traffic violations and at-fault fender-benders can drive up GMC Canyon insurance prices for different age groups. The premiums are based on a single female driver, full coverage, $250 deductibles, and no discounts are applied to the premium.
- Better premiums for continuous coverage – Letting your insurance expire is a guaranteed way to increase your renewal premiums. And not only will insurance be more expensive, getting caught without coverage might get you fines and jail time. You may then be required to file a SR-22 with the New York DMV.
- Job reflects on rates – Do you have a high-stress occupation? Occupations such as lawyers, police officers, and dentists have the highest average rates attributed to job stress and long work hours. On the flip side, careers such as farmers, athletes and retirees generally pay rates lower than average.
- Poor credit history equals high premiums – An insured’s credit score is a large factor in calculating your premium rate. Consumers who have good credit tend to be less risk to insure than drivers with lower credit scores. So if your credit score is not that good, you could potentially save money when insuring your GMC Canyon by improving your credit score.
GMC Canyon statistical loss data – Insurance companies use past loss statistics for each vehicle to help determine the rate you pay. Models that the data determines to have increased losses will have increased rates. The table below illustrates the historical loss data for GMC Canyon vehicles.
For each insurance policy coverage type, the claim amount for all vehicles as a whole is represented as 100. Numbers that are below 100 suggest a better than average loss history, while numbers above 100 point to more claims or an increased probability of a larger loss.
GMC Canyon Insurance Claim Statistics Vehicle Make and Model Collision Property Damage Comp Personal Injury Medical Payment Bodily Injury GMC Canyon Crew Cab 2WD 54 88 GMC Canyon Crew Cab 4WD 44 71BETTERAVERAGEWORSE
Empty fields indicate not enough data collected
Statistics Source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety for 2013-2015 Model Years
Here’s why car insurance is not optional
Even though it’s not necessarily cheap to insure a GMC in Buffalo, insurance is required for several reasons.
First, just about all states have mandatory liability insurance requirements which means it is punishable by state law to not carry a minimum amount of liability insurance coverage if you don’t want to risk a ticket. In New York these limits are 25/50/10 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
Second, if you have a lien on your vehicle, more than likely the lender will require you to have physical damage coverage to ensure they get paid if you total the vehicle. If you default on your policy, the bank will be required to insure your GMC at a significantly higher premium and force you to pay the higher price.
Third, insurance protects both your GMC Canyon and your assets. It will also reimburse you for most medical and hospital costs for you, your passengers, and anyone else injured in an accident. Liability coverage, the one required by state law, also covers all legal expenses up to the policy limit if anyone sues you for causing an accident. If your GMC gets damaged, comprehensive and collision coverage will cover the damage repairs after a deductible is paid.
The benefits of buying car insurance more than cancel out the cost, particularly when you have a large claim. According to a recent study, the average American driver overpays as much as $850 per year so shop around at least once a year to make sure the price is not too high.
What is the best auto insurance company in Buffalo?
Ending up with the top insurance provider is difficult considering how many different companies insure vehicles in Buffalo. The company information listed below can help you decide which providers you want to consider when shopping your coverage around.
Top 10 Buffalo Car Insurance Companies Ranked by Claims Service
- Liberty Mutual
- State Farm
- The General
- The Hartford
- 21st Century
We’ve covered some good ideas how you can shop for GMC Canyon insurance online. The key concept to understand is the more times you quote, the higher your chance of finding low cost Buffalo car insurance quotes. Consumers may even find the lowest car insurance rates come from a small mutual company.
People who switch companies do it for a variety of reasons including high prices, denial of a claim, lack of trust in their agent and even being labeled a high risk driver. Regardless of your reason, choosing a new company can be less work than you think.
While you’re price shopping online, it’s a bad idea to sacrifice coverage to reduce premiums. There have been many cases where an insured cut liability coverage limits only to regret at claim time that the few dollars in savings costed them thousands. The aim is to buy enough coverage for the lowest cost and still be able to protect your assets.
Much more information about insurance in New York is located below:
- Electronic Stability Control FAQ (iihs.org)
- Who Has the Cheapest Buffalo Auto Insurance Rates for a Nissan Rogue? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance Quotes for a Toyota Tacoma in Buffalo? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance for a Dodge Ram in Buffalo? (FAQ)
- What Insurance is Cheapest for Single Moms in Buffalo? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Buffalo Auto Insurance Quotes for Seniors? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Buffalo Car Insurance Quotes for Drivers Requiring a SR22? (FAQ)
- Side Impact Crash Tests (iihs.org)
- Coverage Information (Progressive Insurance)