Are you a victim of an overpriced insurance policy? It’s quite common and you’re not alone.
Remarkably, a study showed that most insurance customers kept buying from the same company for over three years, and 38% of drivers have never compared insurance rates at all. Most drivers in New York could save up to $840 every year, but they don’t want to spend time to go online and compare rates.
Many auto insurance companies vie to insure your vehicles, so it’s not easy to compare every company to discover the definitive lowest rate possible on Dodge Dakota insurance in Buffalo.
It’s important to price shop coverage periodically because rates fluctuate regularly. Just because you found the best deal on Dodge Dakota insurance in Buffalo a few years ago you will most likely find a better price today. Ignore everything you know about insurance because I’m going to teach you one of the quickest ways to find better rates and still maintain coverage.
These discounts can lower your car insurance rates
Buying car insurance is not cheap, but you might already qualify for some discounts that can dramatically reduce your bill. Some trigger automatically at the time of purchase, but some discounts are required to be specifically requested prior to getting the savings.
- Active Military Service – Being on active deployment in the military may qualify for rate reductions.
- Discounts for Government Workers – Employees or retirees of the government could cut as much as 10% off with a few car insurance companies.
- Good Student – This discount can save 20 to 25%. You can use this discount normally up until you turn 25.
- Passive Restraints – Options like air bags or automatic seat belts may qualify for discounts up to 30%.
- Braking Control Discount – Anti-lock brake equipped vehicles prevent accidents and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- Resident Student – Kids who are enrolled in higher education away from home and do not take a car to college may qualify for this discount.
Don’t be shocked that most discount credits are not given to all coverage premiums. Most only reduce the cost of specific coverages such as comp or med pay. So when it seems like you could get a free car insurance policy, you won’t be that lucky.
The diagram below shows the difference between Dodge Dakota annual premium costs with and without discounts applied. The data is based on a male driver, no driving violations, no at-fault accidents, New York state minimum liability limits, comprehensive and collision coverage, and $1,000 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with homeowner, multi-policy, marriage, multi-car, safe-driver, and claim-free discounts applied.
Some of the larger companies that may offer most of these discounts are:
If you need lower rates, check with every insurance company which discounts can lower your rates. Discounts may not be offered in your state. To see providers offering car insurance discounts in New York, follow this link.
When quoting auto insurance, remember that quoting more will increase your chances of finding a lower rate.
The companies shown below have been selected to offer quotes in New York. If you want to find cheap car insurance in NY, we recommend you compare several of them to get a more complete price comparison.
Insurance analysis for a Dodge Dakota
The price information shown next showcases different insurance premium costs for Dodge Dakota models. Learning a little about how insurance quotes are calculated can help you make smart choices when purchasing an auto insurance policy.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Dakota ST Ext Cab 2WD||$166||$278||$434||$26||$130||$1,034||$86|
|Dakota Bighorn Ext Cab 2WD||$166||$278||$434||$26||$130||$1,034||$86|
|Dakota Lonestar Ext Cab 2WD||$190||$278||$434||$26||$130||$1,058||$88|
|Dakota ST Crew Cab 2WD||$190||$278||$434||$26||$130||$1,058||$88|
|Dakota Bighorn Crew Cab 2WD||$190||$328||$434||$26||$130||$1,108||$92|
|Dakota Lonestar Crew Cab 2WD||$190||$328||$434||$26||$130||$1,108||$92|
|Dakota Bighorn Ext Cab 4WD||$214||$278||$346||$20||$104||$962||$80|
|Dakota ST Ext Cab 4WD||$214||$278||$346||$20||$104||$962||$80|
|Dakota Laramie Crew Cab 2WD||$214||$328||$434||$26||$130||$1,132||$94|
|Dakota ST Crew Cab 4WD||$214||$278||$346||$20||$104||$962||$80|
|Dakota Lonestar Ext Cab 4WD||$214||$278||$346||$20||$104||$962||$80|
|Dakota Bighorn Crew Cab 4WD||$214||$278||$346||$20||$104||$962||$80|
|Dakota TRX Crew Cab 4WD||$214||$328||$346||$20||$104||$1,012||$84|
|Dakota TRX Crew Cab 4WD||$214||$328||$346||$20||$104||$1,012||$84|
|Dakota Lonestar Crew Cab 4WD||$214||$328||$346||$20||$104||$1,012||$84|
|Dakota Laramie Crew Cab 4WD||$238||$328||$346||$20||$104||$1,036||$86|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Prices above based on single male driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $500 deductibles, and New York minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-vehicle, safe-driver, homeowner, multi-policy, and claim-free. Prices do not factor in vehicle garaging location which can affect auto insurance rates greatly.
The diagram below illustrates how your deductible choice and can change Dodge Dakota insurance costs for different ages of insureds. The rate quotes are based on a married female driver, comprehensive and collision coverage, and no additional discounts are factored in.
How accidents and tickets impact rates in Buffalo
The example below shows how violations and at-fault accidents impact Dodge Dakota auto insurance rates for different ages of insureds. The prices are based on a single male driver, comprehensive and collision coverage, $100 deductibles, and no policy discounts are applied.
Comparison of full coverage and liability-only policies
The chart below visualizes the comparison of Dodge Dakota car insurance rates with liability coverage only compared to full coverage. The rates are based on a clean driving record, no claims, $100 deductibles, drivers are not married, and no discounts are applied to the premium.
Deciding between full coverage and liability only
There isn’t a steadfast formula to exclude comprehensive and collision coverage on your policy, but there is a general guideline you can use. If the annual cost of your full coverage insurance is more than around 10% of the replacement cost of your vehicle minus the policy deductible, then you may want to consider only buying liability coverage.
For example, let’s pretend your Dodge Dakota replacement value is $8,000 and you have $1,000 policy deductibles. If your vehicle is severely damaged, the most your company will settle for is $7,000 after paying your deductible. If you are currently paying more than $700 a year for comprehensive and collision coverage, then you may need to consider dropping full coverage.
There are a few situations where only buying liability is not advised. If you still have a loan on your vehicle, you must maintain physical damage coverage in order to keep the loan. Also, if your emergency fund is not enough to purchase a different vehicle in case of an accident, you should not drop full coverage.
The Dodge Dakota Insurance Premium Equation
An important part of buying insurance is that you know some of the things that play a part in calculating your policy premiums. If you understand what influences your rates, this helps enable you to make changes that can help you get lower rates. Lots of things are used when premium rates are determined. Some are pretty understandable like a motor vehicle report, but others are more transparent such as whether you are married or how safe your car is.
The factors shown below are some of the most rate-impacting factors that factor into rates.
Insurance premiums and driver gender – Over the last 50 years, statistics have shown females are less aggressive when driving. However, don’t assume that women are better drivers. Men and women get in accidents in similar percentages, but guys tend to have higher claims. Men also statistically get more serious tickets like reckless driving and DUI.
The example below illustrates the difference between Dodge Dakota insurance premiums for male and female drivers. The rates are based on no claims or violations, full coverage, $100 deductibles, drivers are single, and no other discounts are factored in.
Vehicle options that lower prices – Choosing to buy a car with an alarm system can save you some money. Theft prevention devices such as tamper alarm systems, vehicle immobilizer technology and General Motors OnStar all hinder car theft.
Extra policy coverages are wasting money – There are many add-on coverages you can purchase on your car insurance policy. Add-on coverages like rental car coverage, accident forgiveness, and extra equipment coverage are probably not needed. They may sound like good ideas when deciding what coverages you need, but if you’ve never needed them in the past remove them and pocket the money.
Higher comp and collision deductibles cost less – Insurance for physical damage to your car, aka comp and collision, covers damage that occurs to your Dodge. Some coverage claims would be a windshield shattered by a rock, damage from fire, and burglary. The deductibles you choose tell how much the insured will be required to pay if a covered claim is submitted. The higher the amount you are required to pay out-of-pocket, the bigger discount you will receive.
Teenagers vs. mature drivers – Beginning drivers in New York tend to be inattentive when driving with friends and because of this, their car insurance rates are much higher. Older insureds are more responsible, tend to cause fewer accidents, and tend to be get fewer driving tickets.
The following data assumes a single driver, full coverage with $1000 deductibles, and no discounts or violations.
Small claims can cost you – If you are the type of insured that files lots of claims you should expect higher premiums or even policy non-renewal. Insurance companies in New York provide the best rates to people who file claims infrequently. Insurance coverage is designed for claims that you cannot pay yourself.
Better rates on safer vehicles – Safer cars tend to have better insurance rates. The safest vehicles reduce injuries and lower injury rates means lower claim amounts and more competitive rates for policyholders. If your Dodge earned at least an “acceptable” rating on the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety website it may be receiving lower rates.
Situations that may require an agent’s advice
When it comes to buying the best car insurance coverage for your personal vehicles, there isn’t really a single plan that fits everyone. Your needs are unique to you.
Here are some questions about coverages that might help in determining whether you may require specific advice.
- Are there companies who specialize in insuring high-risk drivers?
- How do I insure my teen driver?
- Exactly who is provided coverage by my policy?
- Do I need roadside assistance coverage?
- Am I covered while delivering pizza?
- Do I need PIP (personal injury protection) coverage in New York?
- Why does it cost so much to insure a teen driver in Buffalo?
- Should I bundle my homeowners policy with my auto?
- Are my company tools covered if they get stolen?
If you’re not sure about those questions, you may need to chat with an agent. If you don’t have a local agent, fill out this quick form.
Insurance agent or online?
A small number of people still like to get advice from a local agent and that is recommended in a lot of cases One of the benefits of getting free rate quotes online is you may find cheaper prices and still have a local agent.
For easy comparison, once you complete this simple form, your information is transmitted to companies in Buffalo that can provide free Buffalo car insurance quotes for your coverage. There is no need to leave your house as quotes are delivered to the email address you provide. You’ll get the best rates AND a local agent. If you wish to get a price quote for a specific company, don’t hesitate to find their quoting web page to submit a rate quote request.
Choosing the best insurer requires you to look at more than just the quoted price. The answers to these questions are important, too.
- In the event of vehicle damage, can you pick the collision repair facility?
- Which company do they place the most coverage with?
- Does the agency support the community they serve?
- Is the quote a firm price?
- Do they carry Errors and Omissions coverage?
- Which family members are covered?
- What companies can they write with?
- Will one accident increase rates?
Pick the best auto insurance agent in Buffalo for you
If you would like to find a good Buffalo insurance agent, you must know there are a couple types of agencies from which to choose. Insurance agencies in Buffalo may be either exclusive or independent (non-exclusive).
Exclusive Auto Insurance Agencies
Agents that elect to be exclusive write business for a single company and examples are Allstate, Farmers Insurance or State Farm. Exclusive agents cannot shop your coverage around so keep that in mind. These agents are usually well trained on their products and sales techniques and that can be a competitive advantage.
The following is a list of exclusive insurance agents in Buffalo who may provide you with price quote information.
Lou Santiago – State Farm Insurance Agent
557 Niagara St – Buffalo, NY 14201 – (716) 883-5500 – View Map
Independent Auto Insurance Agencies
Agents in the independent channel can sell policies from many different companies so as a result can place your coverage amongst many companies depending on which coverage is best. To transfer your coverage to a different company, they simply move the coverage in-house and that require little work on your part.
If you need lower rates, you should always get several quotes from several independent agencies for maximum quote selection.
Listed below are Buffalo independent agents who can help you get price quote information.
Niagara County Insurance
1171 Delaware Ave – Buffalo, NY 14209 – (716) 881-6666 – View Map
Three good reasons to insure your vehicle
Despite the potentially high cost of Dodge Dakota insurance, paying for auto insurance may be required and benefits you in several ways.
- Just about all states have mandatory insurance requirements which means you are required to buy a minimum amount of liability protection in order to be legal. In New York these limits are 25/50/10 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your Dodge Dakota has a lienholder, most lenders will make it mandatory that you have insurance to ensure they get paid if you total the vehicle. If you default on your policy, the bank will be required to insure your Dodge at a much higher premium rate and force you to pay for it.
- Insurance protects not only your car but also your assets. Insurance will pay for medical transport and hospital expenses that are the result of an accident. Liability coverage also covers legal expenses if you are sued as the result of your driving. If damage is caused by hail or an accident, collision and comprehensive coverages will cover the repair costs.
The benefits of having auto insurance are without a doubt worth the cost, particularly if you ever have a claim. But the average American driver is wasting up to $869 every year so you should quote and compare rates every year to make sure the price is not too high.
Which car insurance company is best in Buffalo?
Buying coverage from a highly-rated auto insurance company is difficult considering how many companies sell insurance in Buffalo. The company rank data in the lists below may help you select which companies to look at shopping your coverage with.
Top 10 Buffalo Car Insurance Companies Overall
- The General
- Mercury Insurance
- The Hartford
- State Farm
- Farmers Insurance
- Erie Insurance
- Safeco Insurance
Do the work, save more money
We just presented a lot of tips how to shop for Dodge Dakota insurance online. It’s most important to understand that the more you quote Buffalo car insurance, the higher your chance of finding affordable Dodge Dakota insurance quotes. You may even be surprised to find that the best car insurance rates are with an unexpected company.
People leave their current company for many reasons like high prices, denial of a claim, not issuing a premium refund and unfair underwriting practices. Whatever your reason, choosing a new insurance company can be pretty painless.
When shopping online for insurance, do not sacrifice coverage to reduce premiums. In many cases, an accident victim reduced liability coverage limits only to discover later that it was a big mistake. The aim is to purchase a proper amount of coverage at a price you can afford while still protecting your assets.
Steps to saving on Dodge Dakota insurance in Buffalo
If saving money is your primary concern, then the best way to get low-cost Dodge Dakota insurance is to compare prices regularly from companies in Buffalo. Rates can be compared by completing these steps.
- Take a few minutes and learn about car insurance and the measures you can take to drop your rates. Many policy risk factors that increase rates such as traffic tickets, fender benders, and poor credit history can be remedied by improving your driving habits or financial responsibility.
- Compare rates from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Direct companies and exclusive agencies can provide rates from one company like Progressive and State Farm, while independent agencies can provide rate quotes from multiple insurance companies. Compare rates
- Compare the new rate quotes to your current policy premium to see if cheaper Dakota coverage is available in Buffalo. If you find a lower rate and make a switch, make sure there is no lapse in coverage.
- Notify your agent or company of your decision to cancel the current policy and submit a completed application and payment for your new coverage. Once the application is submitted, place your new certificate of insurance somewhere easily accessible.
A tip to remember is to use the same deductibles and limits on each price quote and and to get rate quotes from as many companies as feasibly possible. This helps ensure the most accurate price comparison and plenty of rates choose from.
Additional information can be read on the following sites:
- Comprehensive Coverage (Liberty Mutual)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance Quotes for a Toyota Tacoma in Buffalo? (FAQ)
- What Insurance is Cheapest for a Nissan Altima in Buffalo? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance Rates for State Employees in Buffalo? (FAQ)
- How Much are Auto Insurance Rates for a Jeep Grand Cherokee in Buffalo? (FAQ)
- Bodily Injury Coverage (Liberty Mutual)
- Auto Insurance 101 (About.com)
- What if I Can’t Find Coverage? (Insurance Information Institute)