It’s a fact that auto insurance companies don’t want you to compare rates. Drivers who do rate comparisons are likely to move their business because they have a good chance of finding lower rate quotes. A recent auto insurance study revealed that consumers who made a habit of comparing rate quotes saved approximately $865 a year compared to people who don’t make a habit of comparing rates.
If finding low prices for Subaru Outback insurance in Buffalo is your intention, then having a grasp of how to find and compare insurance coverage can help simplify the task of finding more affordable coverage.
If your goal is the lowest price, then the best way to get cheaper Subaru Outback insurance is to start comparing prices regularly from insurance carriers in Buffalo.
Step 1: Take a few minutes and learn about individual coverages and the measures you can take to drop your rates. Many policy risk factors that cause high rates such as at-fault accidents, speeding tickets, and an unacceptable credit history can be eliminated by improving your driving habits or financial responsibility. Read the full article for instructions to help keep prices low and get additional discounts that may have been overlooked.
Step 2: Compare prices from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Direct and exclusive agents can only quote rates from one company like Progressive or Allstate, while independent agents can quote prices for a wide range of companies. Find a Buffalo insurance agent
Step 3: Compare the new quotes to your current policy to see if you can save by switching companies. If you find better rates, make sure coverage is continuous and does not lapse.
A key point to remember is to use identical coverages on every quote and and to get price estimates from as many car insurance companies as possible. This guarantees a fair rate comparison and the best price selection.
The purpose of this article is to help you learn how to effectively get price quotes and some tips to save money. If you have a policy now, you should be able to lower your rates using this information. You just need to learn the proper way to compare prices from many companies at once.
Most major insurance companies like State Farm and Allstate provide insurance quotes online. Getting online quotes for Subaru Outback insurance in Buffalo is pretty painless as all you need to do is type in your coverage preferences on the page. Behind the scenes, the system will obtain your driving and credit reports and returns a price determined by many factors.
The ability to get online rates for Subaru Outback insurance in Buffalo makes it a lot easier to compare rates and it’s necessary to compare as many rates as possible if you are searching for the best car insurance rates.
If you want to find out how much you’re overpaying now, check out the car insurance providers below. If you have a policy now, it’s recommended you replicate the limits and deductibles just like they are on your policy. This ensures you will have an apples-to-apples comparison for the exact same coverage.
The providers in the list below have been selected to offer comparison quotes in New York. To get the cheapest auto insurance in New York, it’s highly recommended you visit as many as you can in order to get a fair rate comparison.
Discounts mean cheaper rates for Subaru Outback insurance in Buffalo
The cost of insuring your cars can be expensive, but discounts can save money and there are some available that can dramatically reduce your bill. Some of these discounts will be visible at the time of purchase, but some need to be asked for before being credited.
- Fewer Miles Equal More Savings – Low mileage vehicles can earn lower rates on the low mileage vehicles.
- Save with More Vehicles Insured – Insuring multiple vehicles with one company can reduce rates for all insured vehicles.
- Government Employees – Active or former government employment may qualify for a discount when you quote Buffalo car insurance with a few car insurance companies.
- New Car Discount – Putting coverage on a new Outback can be considerably cheaper due to better safety requirements for new vehicles.
- Anti-theft Discount – Vehicles that have factory alarm systems and tracking devices are stolen with less frequency and will save you 10% or more on Outback insurance in Buffalo.
- Defensive Driving Course – Taking part in a course that instructs on driving safety could cut 5% off your bill and also improve your driving technique.
- Discounts for Seat Belt Usage – Drivers who require all occupants to use a seat belt could save 15% off the medical payments premium.
- Life Insurance – Not all insurance companies offer life insurance, but some may give you a lower rate if you buy auto and life insurance together.
- Save over 55 – If you’re over the age of 55, you may receive lower premium rates.
- Switch and Save Discount – A few companies offer discounts for signing up before your current coverage expires. The savings is around 10%.
A little disclaimer on discounts, most discounts do not apply to all coverage premiums. A few only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like medical payments or collision. So when it seems like it’s possible to get free car insurance, car insurance companies aren’t that generous.
The example below illustrates the comparison of Subaru Outback car insurance rates with and without discounts applied to the premium. The rates are based on a male driver, no claims or driving violations, New York state minimum liability limits, full physical damage coverage, and $1,000 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with homeowner, safe-driver, multi-car, claim-free, multi-policy, and marriage discounts applied.
The best car insurance companies and some of their more popular discounts are outlined below.
- Farmers Insurance discounts include business and professional, alternative fuel, youthful driver, homeowner, multi-car, switch companies, and good student.
- State Farm may include discounts for driver’s education, good student, multiple policy, multiple autos, defensive driving training, good driver, and Steer Clear safe driver discount.
- Liberty Mutual offers discounts for hybrid vehicle, teen driver discount, newly married, newly retired, multi-car, and new move discount.
- MetLife has discounts for defensive driver, good driver, accident-free, multi-policy, good student, and claim-free.
- Progressive has savings for continuous coverage, homeowner, good student, multi-vehicle, and online quote discount.
It’s a good idea to ask all the companies which credits you are entitled to. Some credits may not be offered in Buffalo.
Subaru Outback insurance coverage information
The coverage table displayed below outlines different insurance coverage prices for Subaru Outback models. Being more informed about how insurance prices are formulated can be useful when making decisions when choosing a new policy provider.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Outback 2.5I Premium||$234||$378||$272||$16||$82||$982||$82|
|Outback 2.5I Limited||$234||$378||$272||$16||$82||$982||$82|
|Outback 3.6R Premium||$234||$378||$272||$16||$82||$982||$82|
|Outback 3.6R Limited||$260||$446||$272||$16||$82||$1,076||$90|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data assumes married male driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $100 deductibles, and New York minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include claim-free, safe-driver, multi-policy, multi-vehicle, and homeowner. Premium costs do not factor in your specific Buffalo location which can influence premium rates substantially.
An analysis of deductible level
One of the more difficult decisions when buying auto insurance is how high should the deductibles for physical damage be. The tables below outline the premium difference when you buy lower versus higher coverage deductibles. The first set of rates uses a $100 deductible and the second price table uses a $1,000 deductible.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Outback 2.5I Premium||$258||$412||$264||$16||$80||$1,055||$88|
|Outback 2.5I Limited||$258||$412||$264||$16||$80||$1,055||$88|
|Outback 3.6R Premium||$258||$412||$264||$16||$80||$1,055||$88|
|Outback 3.6R Limited||$286||$484||$264||$16||$80||$1,155||$96|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Outback 2.5I Premium||$142||$216||$264||$16||$80||$718||$60|
|Outback 2.5I Limited||$142||$216||$264||$16||$80||$718||$60|
|Outback 3.6R Premium||$142||$216||$264||$16||$80||$718||$60|
|Outback 3.6R Limited||$158||$256||$264||$16||$80||$774||$65|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Price data assumes married male driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, and New York minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include claim-free, multi-policy, multi-vehicle, safe-driver, and homeowner. Prices do not factor in specific garaging location which can influence insurance rates substantially.
We can derive from the above data that using a $100 deductible could cost the average driver approximately $28 more each month or $336 a year than choosing the higher $1,000 deductible. Since you would have to pay $900 more if you turn in a claim with a $1,000 deductible as compared to a $100 deductible, if you average at least 32 months between claims, you would more than likely save some money going with the higher deductible. The table below illustrates the way this decision is made.
|Average monthly premium for $100 deductibles:||$88|
|Average monthly premium for $1,000 deductibles (subtract):||– $60|
|Monthly savings from raising deductible:||$28|
|Difference between deductibles ($1,000 – $100):||$900|
|Divide difference by monthly savings:||$900 / $28|
|Number of months required between physical damage coverage claims in order to save money by choosing the higher deductible||32 months|
The information below demonstrates how deductible levels and can influence Subaru Outback premium costs for different insured age categories. The information is based on a single male driver, comp and collision included, and no discounts are applied to the premium.
Should you buy full coverage?
The example below illustrates the difference between Subaru Outback insurance rates with full physical damage coverage compared to only buying liability only. The prices are based on a clean driving record, no claims, $500 deductibles, single status, and no discounts are factored in.
Should you pay for full coverage or liability only?
There is no exact formula to drop full coverage on your policy, but there is a general guideline. If the annual cost of your full coverage insurance is 10% or more of the settlement you would receive from your company, then it might be time to buy liability only.
For example, let’s assume your Subaru Outback book value is $4,000 and you have $1,000 full coverage deductibles. If your vehicle is totaled in an accident, the most your company will settle for is $3,000 after paying your policy deductible. If you are paying in excess of $300 a year for full coverage, then you might consider buying liability only.
There are some scenarios where dropping physical damage coverage is not financially feasible. If you still have a loan on your vehicle, you have to carry full coverage in order to satisfy the requirements of the loan. Also, if your emergency fund is not enough to purchase a different vehicle if your current one is damaged, you should keep full coverage in place.
Auto insurance is available from agents near you
Many people prefer to have an agent’s advice. Experienced insurance agents can help you choose the best coverages and help in the event of a claim. One of the benefits of comparing auto insurance online is the fact that you can find cheap auto insurance quotes but still work with a licensed agent. And supporting local agencies is still important in Buffalo.
After filling out this form (opens in new window), your insurance data is immediately sent to insurance agents in Buffalo that can provide free Buffalo car insurance quotes for your coverage. You won’t need to search for an agent because prices are sent to your email. If you want to quote rates from a specific auto insurance provider, just go to their quote page and submit a quote form there.
Pick the best auto insurance agent in Buffalo for you
If you prefer to buy auto insurance from a good insurance agency, it’s helpful to know the different types of agencies and how they can write your policy. Agencies in Buffalo are classified as either exclusive or independent (non-exclusive). Both can sell auto insurance policies, but it’s worth learning the difference in how they write coverage because it can influence the kind of agent you use.
Independent Auto Insurance Agents (or Brokers)
Agents of this type are normally appointed by many insurers so they can quote policies with an assortment of companies and find you cheaper rates. To transfer your coverage to a different company, the business is moved internally and you stay with the same agent. If you need cheaper auto insurance rates, you will definitely want to get quotes from several independent agencies to get the best comparison. Most have the option of insuring with smaller mutual companies who may have lower rates.
Below are Buffalo independent insurance agents who may provide pricing information.
- P.A.G. Agency Inc
1660 Kensington Ave – Buffalo, NY 14215 – (716) 835-3221 – View Map
- Paul Wolf Agency Inc
2686 Elmwood Ave – Buffalo, NY 14217 – (716) 835-9653 – View Map
- Merchants Insurance Co
85 Pearl St – Buffalo, NY 14202 – (716) 849-3287 – View Map
Exclusive Insurance Agencies
Agents that choose to be exclusive have only one company to place business with and examples are American Family, State Farm, and Allstate. Exclusive agencies are unable to provide rate quotes from other companies so you need to shop around if the rates are high. Exclusive agencies receive a lot of sales training on the products they sell which helps overcome the inability to quote other rates. Consumers sometimes buy from exclusive agents mainly due to the brand legacy and solid financial strength.
The following are Buffalo exclusive insurance agents who can help you get price quotes.
- Dan Schmidt – State Farm Insurance Agent
615 Elmwood Ave – Buffalo, NY 14222 – (716) 783-9460 – View Map
- GEICO Insurance Agent
3835 McKinley Pkwy #2 – Buffalo, NY 14219 – (716) 604-0345 – View Map
- Progressive Insurance – Buffalo Service Center
6699 Transit Road – Buffalo, NY 14221 – (716) 810-1500 – View Map
Selecting an car insurance agent requires you to look at more than just a cheap price quote. Any good agent in Buffalo should know the answers to these questions.
- Do they specialize in personal lines auto insurance in Buffalo?
- Who is covered by the car insurance policy?
- Does the agency have a current Errors and Omissions policy?
- Did they already check your driving record and credit reports?
- Is assistance available after office hours?
- Can you choose the body shop in case repairs are needed?
- Do they reduce claim amounts on high mileage vehicles?
- Which companies can they place coverage with?
After getting positive feedback to these questions as well as a price you’re happy with, it’s possible that you found an insurance agent that is reputable and can service your policy.
Auto insurance can be complex
Always remember that when buying a policy, there really is not a best way to insure your cars. Everyone’s situation is a little different.
These are some specific questions could help you determine if your insurance needs would benefit from an agent’s advice.
- How do I file an SR-22 for a DUI in New York?
- How many claims can I have before being canceled?
- How do I insure my teen driver?
- Is a new car covered when I drive it off the dealer lot?
- Am I covered when renting a car or should I buy coverage from the car rental agency?
- Will filing a claim cost me more?
If you’re not sure about those questions but you know they apply to you, then you may want to think about talking to a licensed agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, simply complete this short form. It’s fast, doesn’t cost anything and may give you better protection.
How You Can Control Subaru Outback Insurance Rates
Part of the auto insurance buying process is learning some of the factors that aid in calculating your auto insurance rates. If you know what impacts premium levels, this enables you to make decisions that may reward you with cheaper rates.
- Lower rates for married couples – Walking down the aisle can actually save you money when buying auto insurance. Having a significant other means you’re more stable financially and it’s statistically proven that married drivers tend to have fewer serious accidents.
- Consider raising comp and collision deductibles – Comp and collision deductibles are how much you are willing to pay out-of-pocket in the event of a claim. Physical damage coverage, otherwise known as comp (or other than collision) and collision, is used to repair damage to your car. Some examples of covered claims could be a windshield broken by a bird, fire damage, and damage from wind. The more of the claim you’re willing to pay, the less your auto insurance will be.
- Credit rating impacts premiums – A driver’s credit score is a large factor in determining what you pay. So if your credit rating is not that good, you could be paying less to insure your Subaru Outback by repairing your credit. People with very good credit scores tend to file fewer claims and have better driving records as compared to drivers with lower credit ratings.
- Insurance companies don’t like frequent claims – Car insurance companies in New York generally give the best rates to insureds who only file infrequent claims. If you file a lot of claims you can definitely plan on either a policy non-renewal or much higher rates. Your insurance policy is intended to be relied upon for more catastrophic claims.
Costs for men may be higher – Statistics have proven that women are safer drivers than men. The data does not necessarily mean that men are WORSE drivers than women. They both cause accidents in similar numbers, but the male of the species cause more damage and cost insurance companies more money. Men also have more aggressive citations like driving under the influence (DUI). Youthful male drivers have the highest risk to insure and therefore have the most expensive auto insurance rates.
The chart below illustrates the comparison of Subaru Outback premium costs for male and female drivers. The costs are based on no claims, a clean driving record, comprehensive and collision coverage, $1,000 deductibles, marital status is single, and no additional discounts are factored in.
Subaru Outback claim probability – Car insurance companies analyze the history of losses to calculate a price that offsets possible losses. Vehicles that have a trend towards higher claim severity or frequency will cost more to insure. The information below illustrates the insurance loss data for Subaru Outback vehicles.
For each coverage type, the claim amount for all vehicles, regardless of manufacturer or model, is equal to 100. Percentage values below 100 suggest a better than average loss history, while values over 100 indicate higher probability of having a loss or a tendency for claims to be larger.
Subaru Outback Insurance Claim Statistics Vehicle Make and Model Collision Property Damage Comp Personal Injury Medical Payment Bodily Injury Subaru Outback 4WD 58 68 106 63 64 68 Subaru Outback with Eyesight 4WD 57 46 106 61 58 40BETTERAVERAGEWORSE
Statistics Source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety for 2013-2015 Model Years
Auto insurance in New York serves several purposes
Even though it’s not necessarily cheap to insure a Subaru in Buffalo, maintaining insurance is required in New York but it also protects you in many ways.
First, almost all states have mandatory insurance requirements which means it is punishable by state law to not carry a specific minimum amount of liability insurance coverage in order to get the vehicle licensed. In New York these limits are 25/50/10 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
Second, if your Subaru Outback has a loan, it’s most likely the lender will require that you buy full coverage to protect their interest in the vehicle. If you do not pay your insurance premiums, the lender will be forced to insure your Subaru at an extremely high rate and force you to pay the higher premium.
Third, insurance safeguards not only your Subaru Outback but also your financial assets. Insurance will pay for medical expenses for both you and anyone you injure as the result of an accident. One of the most valuable coverages, liability insurance, will also pay for a defense attorney if you are named as a defendant in an auto accident. If your car is damaged in a storm or accident, comprehensive (other-than-collision) and collision coverage will pay all costs to repair after the deductible has been paid.
The benefits of having auto insurance more than cancel out the cost, specifically if you ever have a liability claim. The average driver in America is wasting up to $700 annually so you should quote rates at every policy renewal to help ensure money is not being wasted.
Best auto insurance company in New York
Finding the highest-rated insurance provider is difficult considering how many companies are available to choose from in Buffalo. The rank data shown below can help you analyze which car insurance companies you want to consider when comparing rate quotes.
Top 10 Buffalo Car Insurance Companies Overall
- The General
- Mercury Insurance
- The Hartford
- State Farm
- Farmers Insurance
- Erie Insurance
- Safeco Insurance
Top 10 Buffalo Car Insurance Companies by A.M. Best Rank
- USAA – A++
- GEICO – A++
- Travelers – A++
- State Farm – A++
- Allstate – A+
- Nationwide – A+
- Esurance – A+
- Erie Insurance – A+
- Progressive – A+
- Mercury Insurance – A+
Quote often and quote early
People who switch companies do it for a variety of reasons including high rates after DUI convictions, high prices, not issuing a premium refund and unfair underwriting practices. Regardless of your reason for switching companies, switching companies is actually quite simple.
In this article, we presented some good ideas how to get a better price on Subaru Outback insurance in Buffalo. The key thing to remember is the more rate quotes you have, the higher your chance of finding the cheapest Subaru Outback rate quotes. Drivers may even discover the lowest priced car insurance comes from some of the smallest insurance companies.
Lower-priced car insurance in Buffalo can be sourced from both online companies as well as from independent agents in Buffalo, and you need to comparison shop both in order to have the best chance of saving money. Some insurance providers may not provide online price quotes and most of the time these regional insurance providers only sell coverage through independent agents.
To read more, link through to the following helpful articles:
- How to Avoid Staged Accidents (State Farm)
- Who Has Affordable Buffalo Auto Insurance Quotes for Seniors? (FAQ)
- How Much is Car Insurance for 16 Year Olds in Buffalo? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Car Insurance Quotes for Used Cars in Buffalo? (FAQ)
- How Much is Auto Insurance for a Toyota RAV4 in Buffalo? (FAQ)
- Air Bags: Potential Dangers to Your Children (Insurance Information Institute)
- Side Impact Crash Tests (iihs.org)