It's easy to assume that insurance companies don't want you to compare rates. Drivers who compare rates at least once a year are highly likely to switch to a new company because they have a good chance of finding a policy with more affordable rates. A recent insurance study revealed that drivers who compared rates once a year saved on average $70 a month compared to people who don't regularly compare prices.
If finding the best price on insurance in Buffalo is your target objective, then having some knowledge of how to shop for insurance coverage can make it simple to find affordable coverage.
If you want to save the most money, the best way to find the cheapest price for Scion xB insurance in Buffalo is to annually compare prices from different companies who sell auto insurance in New York. You can compare rates by following these guidelines.
- Take a little time to learn about how your policy works and the measures you can control to keep rates in check. Many things that result in higher prices like speeding and a not-so-good credit rating can be controlled by making small lifestyle or driving habit changes.
- Compare prices from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Exclusive and direct companies can provide rates from one company like GEICO and State Farm, while independent agencies can give you price quotes for a wide range of insurance providers.
- Compare the new quotes to your existing coverage to see if a cheaper rate is available. If you find a better price and change companies, verify that coverage does not lapse between policies.
One key aspect when comparing rates is to try to compare the same physical damage deductibles and liability limits on every quote request and and to get price estimates from as many companies as possible. This enables a fair rate comparison and the best rate selection.
Shopping for affordable auto insurance in Buffalo is easy if you know what you're doing. Virtually every car owner who wants cheaper auto insurance will most likely find a better price. Nevertheless, New York consumers must learn how big insurance companies price insurance differently.
Keep in mind that comparing a wide range of rates helps increase your odds of locating the best rates.
The companies shown below are our best choices to provide quotes in Buffalo, NY. In order to find the cheapest car insurance in NY, we suggest you visit several of them to find the cheapest car insurance rates.
Car insurance statistics and figures
The premium table shown below outlines different coverage costs for Scion xB models. Having a good understanding how auto insurance prices are figured can help drivers make informed decisions when shopping around for a new policy.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Premium data assumes single male driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $100 deductibles, and New York minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include safe-driver, claim-free, homeowner, multi-vehicle, and multi-policy. Price estimates do not factor in the specific area where the vehicle is garaged which can influence premium rates greatly.
The information below illustrates how your choice of deductibles and can affect Scion xB insurance prices for different categories of driver ages. The premiums are based on a single male driver, comprehensive and collision coverage, and no discounts are applied.
Car insurance premiums based on gender
The diagram below shows the comparison of Scion xB yearly insurance costs for male and female drivers. The premiums assume no claims, a clean driving record, comp and collision included, $250 deductibles, single marital status, and no discounts are taken into consideration.
Scion xB liability-only versus full coverage
The chart below compares Scion xB insurance costs with full physical damage coverage and with liability coverage only. The data is based on no claims, a clean driving record, $100 deductibles, drivers are not married, and no discounts are applied to the premium.
When to buy liability coverage only
There is no clear-cut rule to stop buying physical damage coverage on your policy, but there is a guideline you can use. If the yearly cost for physical damage coverage is more than about 10% of the settlement you would receive from your company, the it may be a good time to stop paying for full coverage.
For example, let's say your Scion xB settlement value is $6,000 and you have $1,000 full coverage deductibles. If your vehicle is destroyed, the most you would get paid by your company is $5,000 after paying the physical damage deductible. If you are paying over $500 a year for comprehensive and collision coverage, then it could be time to drop full coverage.
There are some scenarios where buying only liability insurance is not a good plan. If you haven't paid off your loan, you have to keep full coverage as part of the loan requirements. Also, if you cannot afford to purchase a different vehicle in case of an accident, you should keep full coverage.
Discounts mean cheaper rates for Scion xB insurance in Buffalo
Insurance can be prohibitively expensive, but you might find some hidden discounts to help bring down the price. Some discounts will apply when you quote, but some need to be asked for prior to getting the savings.
- Savings for New Vehicles - Putting coverage on a new xB may earn a small discount compared to insuring an older model.
- Onboard Data Collection - Insureds who allow driving data submission to analyze vehicle usage through the use of a telematics system such as State Farm's In-Drive could save a few bucks as long as they are good drivers.
- Driver Safety - Passing a class that teaches defensive driving techniques may get you a small discount if your company offers it.
- Drivers Ed for Students - It's a good idea to have your young drivers successfully complete driver's ed class as it can save substantially.
- Discount for Home Ownership - Owning your own home or condo can earn you a little savings because maintaining a house demonstrates responsibility.
- Resident Student - Any of your kids who live away from home at college and don't have a car may be insured at a cheaper rate.
Just know that most discounts do not apply to the entire cost. A few only apply to specific coverage prices like collision or personal injury protection. So despite the fact that it appears you can get free auto insurance, it's just not the way it works.
The illustration below shows the comparison of Scion xB annual premium costs with and without policy discounts. The information is based on a female driver, a clean driving record, no at-fault accidents, New York state minimum liability limits, comprehensive and collision coverage, and $250 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with homeowner, safe-driver, claim-free, multi-policy, multi-car, and marriage discounts applied.
Larger auto insurance companies and their offered discounts are shown below.
- State Farm has discounts for Drive Safe & Save, good driver, driver's education, multiple policy, safe vehicle, student away at school, and passive restraint.
- American Family includes discounts for mySafetyValet, accident-free, air bags, TimeAway discount, early bird, bundled insurance, and Steer into Savings.
- GEICO offers discounts for emergency military deployment, driver training, daytime running lights, good student, multi-vehicle, and seat belt use.
- 21st Century policyholders can earn discounts including early bird, anti-lock brakes, student driver, air bags, 55 and older, and teen driver.
- Progressive may have discounts that include online quote discount, multi-policy, homeowner, online signing, multi-vehicle, and continuous coverage.
Before you buy a policy, ask all the companies which discounts can lower your rates. Some discounts might not be offered in your state. To locate auto insurance companies that offer multiple discounts in Buffalo, click here.
Choosing the best Scion vehicle insurance in New York is an important decision
Despite the high cost, paying for insurance serves a purpose in several ways.
- Almost all states have minimum mandated liability insurance limits which means you are required to carry a minimum amount of liability coverage in order to license the vehicle. In New York these limits are 25/50/10 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your xB has a lienholder, most banks will require that you have physical damage coverage to ensure the loan is repaid in case of a total loss. If you cancel or allow the policy to lapse, the lender will be forced to insure your Scion at a much higher rate and force you to reimburse them the higher premium.
- Insurance protects both your vehicle and your assets. It will also pay for medical bills for not only you but also any passengers injured in an accident. Liability insurance will also pay for a defense attorney in the event you are sued. If damage is caused by hail or an accident, your policy will pay all costs to repair after the deductible has been paid.
The benefits of carrying enough insurance more than cancel out the cost, specifically if you ever have a liability claim. The average driver in New York is overpaying over $800 each year so compare rates at every renewal to ensure rates are inline.
Buffalo auto insurance companies ranked
Finding the top auto insurance provider can be challenging considering how many choices you have in Buffalo. The company rank data in the lists below may help you select which car insurance providers to look at comparing rates from.
Top 10 Buffalo Car Insurance Companies Ranked by Value
- The General
- Erie Insurance
- The Hartford
- Mercury Insurance
- Farmers Insurance
- 21st Century
- Safeco Insurance
- AAA Insurance
- State Farm
Compare prices but work with a local neighborhood Buffalo car insurance agent
A small number of people would prefer to get professional advice from a licensed agent and we recommend doing that One of the great benefits of comparing auto insurance online is that you can find cheaper car insurance rates and still choose a local agent. Putting coverage with local insurance agencies is important especially in Buffalo.
To help locate an agent, after submitting this form (opens in new window), the coverage information is sent to companies in Buffalo that provide free Buffalo auto insurance quotes and help you find cheaper coverage. You don't have to search for any insurance agencies as quotes are delivered to you instantly. You can find the lowest rates without having to waste a lot of time. In the event you want to compare prices from one company in particular, you can always go to their quote page and fill out the quote form the provide.
If you want to buy auto insurance from a reliable agent, there are a couple of types of insurance agents and how they function. Auto insurance agents in Buffalo can either be exclusive or independent (non-exclusive).
Independent Insurance Agents
Independent agents can quote rates with many companies and that gives them the ability to insure amongst many companies and get you the best rates possible. If you want to switch companies, your agent can just switch to a different company and you stay with the same agent.
When comparing rates, it's a good idea to contact at a minimum one independent agency to have the best price comparison.
Shown below is a small list of independent agents in Buffalo that may be able to provide comparison quotes.
Nationwide Insurance: Cynthia Woltz Insurance Agency Inc
1926 clinton - Buffalo, NY 14206 - (716) 822-6874 - View Map
Exclusive Insurance Agents
Agents that elect to be exclusive write business for a single company and examples are State Farm, Allstate and AAA. Exclusive agencies are unable to place coverage with different providers so you might not find the best rates. Exclusive agencies are highly trained on sales techniques and that allows them to sell at a higher price point.
Shown below are Buffalo exclusive agencies that can give you price quotes.
Finding the right insurance agency requires you to look at more than just a cheap quote. A good agent in Buffalo will have answers to these questions.
- Can they give you a list of client referrals?
- Are you getting all the discounts the company offers?
- Which companies can they place coverage with?
- Is the quote a firm price?
- Are aftermarket or OEM parts used to repair vehicles?
- How much training do they have in personal risk management?
- Do they have adequate Errors and Omissions coverage? This protects you if they make a mistake.